Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Should we be hopeful or concerned about ICT?

While I try to stay hopeful with the presence of ICT in our society (especially with our children), I am concerned with the increasing popular internet gaming. Why? Gaming addiction!!
Such a worry! I see children as young as 6 years old walking around with game boys, x-box and what not! They are so addicted to gaming that they dont seem to realise teh detrimental effects it will bring them in years to come. (I think they may lack the social skills).
Also, recently I read in the newspaper about a teenage boy failing his subjects in school simply because he got too addicted to his internet gaming (where people from other parts of the world play together online). He lost his friends as he is stuck to the computer 24/7!
I think it's becoming a worrying problem here!
But from what I know, the ministry is trying to overcome this problem by introducing cyber wellness programmes in school.
As such, I hope to stay hopeful with ICT.

I think, with any new technology advancement, there are always pros and cons (i mean, there are hackers out there coz they are simply too smart with programming!!). So as educators, we must try to teach our pupils to use technology wisely and obey copyright laws of course!

ICT is here to stay - so I hope all of us can overcome any concerns ;)

1 comment:

Suriani said...

I agree with you about the addiction of virtual gaming. But games in any form can be addictive. Remember those little videogames gadgets or even when we Pac-man or Mario Brothers was first introduced. I think everyone knew about the game and had played it. Virtual games brings the stake higher as you are competing with another person in the virtual world. I am sure the authorities are aware of these problems. While we help increase our students learning thorugh the use of ICT, we need to also provide them with the support to help them manage their use of ICT.